* Adaptable *
* Get into others *
* Commitment *
- Communication: “A team is many voices with a single heart.”
- You cannot have teamwork unless you have players who talk to one another. Without communication you don’t have a team – you have a collection of individuals.
- Teammates don’t isolate themselves from others. The more you know about each other the more you understand each other. The more you understand the more you will care about each other. A player who is connected to his teammates is a powerful asset to the team.
- Team players make it easy for teammates to communicate with them. If you look at leaders and impact players on a team you will find that they not only stay connected with their teammates, they make sure their teammates are able to make contact with them easily.
- Give attention to difficult relationships – these will need attention to thrive.
- Communication brings about trust. Players that communicate and trust each other begin to act as one.
- We need to be able to look one another in the eye and tell the truth – no time should be wasted trying to figure out what your teammate is hiding or what his ulterior motives might be.
“You have to be a family first to be a team” – Lebron James
- This begins and ends with communication and trust.
In pressure situations, players will often revert to individual instincts and these are often thought of to be selfish – talking both on and off the court allows a team to think collectively and then you start to rely on team instincts.
As team relationships grow over time and are built on respect, communication, and trust, you find something else happens – you start to CARE about the team and your teammates.